Indian Spiced Rice Pudding Recipe
This pudding with its blend of traditional Indian spices gets a little surprise kick from the added black pepper. Be sure to use only fresh peppercorns.
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup arborio or medium-grain white rice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- Stir milk, rice, sugar, and salt in heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently until pudding is thick and rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Mix in spices.
- Serve pudding warm or at room temperature with a dollup of whipped cream and some fresh mint.